It's quiet time now at The Next Hurrah. Pleasantries and kitchen talk, saving our strength for today's Olympics of Gluttony, and the Great Debates to follow.
In a pre-emptive attack on Avian Flu, we have assembled a quail stuffed in a squab, stuffed in a chicken stuffed in a duck, stuffed in a turkey, stuffed in an emu stuffed in an ostrich, sizzling in the virtual oven ... and we've got a pool going on how many hours to give it. The kitchen herbivores are sculpting a competing creation in tofu.
On a sobering note (and it's good to have a sobering note before we hit the cranberry sauce), Wampum reminds us:
The corn that kept the Alden-Standish party alive during the eight weeks they spent on the Cape ... was taken from a Wampanoag granary (Corn Hill). Stealing burial goods was the next logical step ...
Today we give thanks:
- That our Murtha's and our McDermott's are singing from the same page ... a consensus to be cemented further by earnest family discussion all around the nation today.
- For buttered mashed potatoes. (This story may change your outlook forever.)
- That Scott "Dilbert" Adams has started a blog.
- For winds of change, raising hopes that pigs will soon be put to flight and turkeys will relinquish their Presidential Medals of Freedom.
- For Merlot cranberry sauce.
- For good and wise and diverse companions on the blog, and in comments, and in our background cabal (if you only knew!) ... and even in real life.
Happy Thanksgiving! This is an Open Thread.